Project Name: 3-D Laser scan of Mini Maglite Flashlight
Client: Lee Williamson
Timeline: a few hours
Role: 3-D laser scanning
Project Type: DSSP (Digital Shape Sampling and Processing)
I scanned the top part of a Maglite Flashlight with my 3-D laser scanner so that Lee could save some time and focus on building his diffuser cap design.
Process: This object proved to be challenging in that it was a.) black (aka "dark") and absorbed laser and b.) it was partially reflective and bounced the laser sweep at times. To overcome these challenges, I applied a temporary white coat. Since the end result of the flashlight would go back into the hands of a user, I choose to use something non-toxic (aka not magnaflux spray). I tried fine white powder first, but I was still getting noise in the scan results, so I went to using a white tempera paint which would wash off with water. Once the scan was acquired, I spent some time in RapidWorks cleaning up the data, and smoothing out the model. Since there were only a couple of dimensions to worry about, I didn't need a lot of time trying to get a precise model, and some edges were left crude, yet (hopefully) good enough for Lee to create his custom cap diffuser design.
The intermediate and final scan results are below, and Lee's project is documented here.
Original Flashlight Design
Wiremesh of Scan Data acquired
NURBS data (view 1)
NURBS data (view 2) Post Processing in RapidWorks
Quick 3-D (FDM) print of the scan data on my MakerBot Replicator 2 (.PLA, high quality settings)